Monday, January 2, 2017

New Base Game Ideal for Elementary - Zapped!

Last month I was thrilled to come across a simple game created by John Kean called The Playful Unicorn. John submitted it on a form as something useful in education. After reading the short rules I could see why. It was brillant! I asked him if I could use it for a Project Pack and he kindly agreed.

I call my version of the game Zapped. It is a simple matching, press-your-luck and (possibly) memory game that elementary students would have a lot of fun playing and redesigning. Older students will still enjoy it and it offers them some great options for redesign and discussion of class content.

John posted his resources for his original game here. Check it out to see some excellent card art, his design reflections and a background story for the game.

You can find my Zapped Project Pack here. Remember that I purposely make the card art plain and I remove the theme so students can start with a mostly blank slate.